Sunday, November 25, 2007

Is deli.cio.us socially satisfying?


Deli.cio.us is a social bookmarking site where users can organize their favorite websites and share them with other users online- all in one site. A site of this type can also be classified as a folksonomy because it is a way to collect, categorize, and tag content in a collaborative fashion. The neat aspect about delicious (visualize the dots) is that you can share sites with others without having to send an e-mail with a long link or and Instant Message. You can share and receive interesting information without being obtrusive and annoying to your friends or colleagues.

I believe it can be considered a "democratic taxonomy" because it gives users the opportunity to browse through websites that other people have bookmarked to get a glimpse of the wide variety of websites that exists. You can search by specific tags if you are looking for websites in a particular category. An interesting feature is the hotlist where you can see the top sites that people find interesting on the del.icio.us homepage. I believe that del.icio.us can be a beneficial site for students because they can share web information in an semi-organized fashion as long as people use helpful categories and tags that are sensible. It is another Web 2.0 application that can assist with sharing information over the web among social networkers and professionals alike. It feels like you are sharing your Favorites folder from your Internet browser with the world and tends to add more value.

Here is the URL to my page where I have a collection of sites related to professional and technical communication (my current field of study) and online radio sites because I music!
I also included other sites related to sub-categories of communication such as web design, information architecture, graphic design etc.
I visit the delicious once every couple of days, but personally I do not visit it as much as theFacebook, the only other social networking community I am a part of. Maybe this will change in the future as I continue to add people to my network and get exposed to more and more websites that I would probably never see if it was not for the del.icio.us site.