Sunday, September 9, 2007

Inside the Google blog

The Google blogs are geared to the users of their products. Google has created a separate blog for almost all of their applications and services that are available for download. It is often hard to keep up with all of their latest products and the blog entries serve as useful items for people who use a particular application regularly to stay informed on updates or new features. For example, the Gmail blog includes tips for using the application more effectively and provides information to make a user’s Google gadget of choice that much more convenient.
The goals of the blogs are to provide more information on the purpose of their products and give instructions on how to use the products. The site allows and encourages readers to give feedback on posts, but only through email and discussion boards. I did not see an area beneath posts to leave comments which would make a smoother line of communication.
The average entries are 4-5 paragraphs long incorporating graphs, videos, and other images to supplement the text. The screenshots that appears in some of the posts are especially helpful to people who are first time users to certain products. The blogs all have the same layout which gives continuity to the site design and the color choices are aesthetically pleasing. The blogs present an image of dedication to improving the online search experience. They also show that the employees are not only developers of the product but users as well.
Although there was not enough time to read every single blog that Google maintains, it is great they offer focused blogs for the many applications they have developed. Aside from the blogs related to products, there are also blogs on technology, policy, and ones for the developers, webmasters, and other technical professionals at Google. Just from browsing the different entries on the site, I downloaded a new Google gadget for my computer, the Google Notebook. Although I am not sure how to use it properly just yet, I am sure that I will be able to learn through their tutorials and posts. With a useful blog in hand, there’s one more thing that the search guru can put under its belt as successful. G0-Go-Google gadgets!

1 comment:

mt54 said...

I also looked into Google's blog and noticed no space to comment, just email. I wonder why a corporation that is so into Web 2.0 would leave this out of their blog. I've had a gmail account for a few years now, I remember when I first got it I was freaked out the next to my emails were ads for Web sites related to key words in my email messages. For a corporation that gets inside of its consumers so deeply, no Comment space is quite a lacking omission.